External Hard Drive Recovery in Edinburgh
If you suspect you’re external portable hard drive has issues then please stop using the drive. Seek professional advice. Our hard drive assessment including collection in Edinburgh is free so don’t take the risk of causing further damage to the drive. In many cases if the customer had followed this advice external drive recovery would have either been cheaper or recovery would have been a success rather than a failure.
Some reasons drives cannot be recovered:
- Someone opened the drive and literally played around with the sensitive components.
- Someone caused damage to a platter or head again by opening the drive.
- Never ever run disk utility software on a drive which you cant be sure is 100% hardware fault free.
- Someone ran check disk or disk repair software on a drive requiring head replacement and the drive heads damaged the platter.
- The portable hard drive has had a liquid spill or been dropped.
- The external hard drive has a user password on it.
- The drive has encryption in use on the drive.
- The chap at work tried to recover your data.
- The drive is ok but the external case is damaged making the drive encrypted.
We have special hardware that lets us read unreadable USB drives however even with this sometimes there is a small window of opportunity to get data off before resorting to swapping internal components, which in turn increases cost to the customer. If unsure please seek professional advice, in the end it could save you a lot of time, money and frustration.
It advisable in these situations not to keep trying, every attempt can cause wear and tear on components. What was once recoverable might not be afterwards, even if it is it may be more expensive.
External drive symptoms.
- Been connected to the incorrect power adaptor/power supply.
- Not detected or seen by Windows or Mac.
- Message informs you the drive needs to be formatted.
- The drive mounts and then dismounts.
- Cant access drive because of user encryption.
- Spins and beeps then stops.
- No power or activity whatsoever.
- Seems to work fine but very slow to access files or perform any task.
- Blue screen of death on boot.
- Rhythmic clicking of heads.
The drives we see most are USB and made by Western Digital, My book, My passport, My cloud etc,Toshiba, Lacie and Seagate.
Take advantage of our free collection service, let us quote you a fixed cost for your data recovery issue form start to finish.
Just Call 0131 235 2486 24 hour service and ask for John.